The death toll from a boat accident in Nigeria’s northwestern state of Sokoto has risen to 46, with rescue operations continuing at the scene on Friday, according to local police.
Ahmad Rufai, spokesperson for the Sokoto police, told Xinhua by telephone that 24 others remained missing as local divers and rescue workers intensified the search for victims.
The overloaded wooden canoe capsized shortly after setting off to cross a river on Thursday morning. According to Rufai, at least 77 people were involved and seven people have been rescued so far.
Earlier, Abdulkadir Yusuf, the Sokoto area manager of the National Inland Waterways Authority, confirmed to Xinhua on Thursday that at least 40 bodies, including those of children aged between 10 and 15, were recovered from the scene and buried.
Citing a preliminary investigation, Yusuf said the boat capsized due to “severe overloading,” as the passengers were traveling to plant or harvest rice on their farmlands across the river.
Boat accidents, often caused by overloading, adverse weather conditions and operational errors, are common in Nigeria. Enditem
Source: Xinhua
