South African President Cyril Ramaphosa called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in Ebola-hit areas of eastern DRC, warning SADC leaders that the outbreak was outpacing efforts to contain it and risked spreading across the region.
Speaking at the 46th SADC Summit in Durban on Monday, Ramaphosa said nearly 5,000 confirmed cases and more than 2,300 deaths had been recorded.
“The outbreak continues to outpace our efforts,” he said. “We must act with urgency, all of us, and we call for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in the affected conflict areas in the eastern DRC <…> So that health workers can reach every affected community.”
Ramaphosa urged SADC countries to strengthen disease surveillance, laboratory capacity and emergency preparedness, warning the virus “could easily spread and affect many other countries in our region.”
He also urged governments to avoid blanket travel and trade restrictions on affected countries, saying they could damage economies and make containment more difficult.
“This generalised ban on travel from countries that are affected by a pandemic is clearly unfair <…> They damage economies, they disrupt livelihoods, and may drive movement through unmonitored border crossings,” he explained.
The Ebola outbreak, declared on 15 May, has spread rapidly in eastern DRC, with 4,843 cases and 2,272 deaths reported across six provinces by 16 August.
Caused by the rare Bundibugyo virus, it has no approved vaccine or specific treatment. WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned it could surpass the 2014-16 West Africa epidemic.
The 46th SADC Summit brought leaders of the 16-member bloc together in Durban, with South Africa taking over the chair for the next 12 months. Boosting regional trade and economic integration is among its priorities.
Source: Viory
