Spanish midfielder Rodri described his move to Barcelona as an ‘important new chapter’ in his career on Tuesday as he completed a high-profile transfer from Manchester City.
Footage shows the 30-year-old arriving for his official presentation in Barcelona before posing with a club shirt bearing “RODRIGO 2030”.
“I’m very happy to be here, to be with you all today on a very special day for me, for my people and my family. A very important new chapter in my career,” Rodri said.
He went on to mention that Barcelona had been his first choice despite interest from elsewhere, pointing to the club’s footballing philosophy and the potential of its project.
“I had some other options, as you said, but Barcelona was my first choice,” he said.
The midfielder admitted leaving Manchester City had been a difficult decision after seven trophy-laden seasons in England.
“The decision was a difficult one, especially because of leaving Manchester City, a club that has given me absolutely everything, where I’ve been extremely happy throughout all these years,” he explained.
Rodri joins a Barcelona side that has won back-to-back La Liga titles but is still chasing its first Champions League trophy since 2015.
“In the end, one of the reasons for coming here isn’t just the present, but also looking at the project’s potential in many different ways […] I’ll try to bring that desire to keep improving,” he added.
Asked about speculation linking Barcelona with Atletico Madrid striker Julian Alvarez, Rodri declined to discuss the possibility of a transfer but praised the Argentine as one of the world’s leading forwards.
Barcelona have signed Rodri until June 2030, ending his seven-year spell at Manchester City.
He made 298 appearances for City and helped the club win 14 major trophies, including four Premier League titles and the 2023 Champions League, when he scored the winning goal in the final.
Rodri also won the men’s Ballon d’Or in 2024 after helping Spain win Euro 2024.
His final years in Manchester were disrupted by injury. He missed most of the 2024-25 season after undergoing surgery on an ACL and meniscus injury and underwent minor back surgery in July 2026 before completing his move to Barcelona.
Source: Viory
